Episode 108: Finding words for tender conversations with Dr Kathryn Mannix
In this episode, I welcome back Dr Kathryn Mannix to the podcast. Kathryn’s first interview was titled Talking About Death because that’s exactly what we did. Kathryn spent many years as a palliative care doctor and wrote the best-selling book With The End In Mind. Here we’re talking about her latest book Listen: How to Find the Words for Tender Conversations. This is a powerful and moving conversation which I hope you will love as much as I did.
We talk about:
- The experience of recording Kathryn’s own audiobook
- Why Kathryn felt this book needed to be written after her first one
- What it means to have a tender conversation
- Why listening is so important when it comes to having these conversations
- How we can get better at listening
- The power of silence
- Some of the wonderful stories in the book
- How to have tender conversations in a professional context
- Moving away from trying to fix someone’s problems
- Some of the ways we can encourage others to open up
- The devastating impact of Covid on communication in a healthcare setting
- Kathryn’s advice for how to manage tender conversations at the very end of life
Find more about Kathryn:
Kathryn’s latest book: Listen: How to Find the Words for Tender Conversations
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!
Find out how to leave a review here.