Episode 124: Diversity, equality and being a mature woman with Dawn-Maria France
Dawn-Maria France is an award-winning journalist and editor-in-chief of Yorkshire Women’s Life magazine. She’s a travel writer, children’s author and broadcaster, and is passionate about women’s rights, equality and diversity.
We talk about:
- How Dawn-Maria came to be the editor of Yorkshire Women’s Life magazine
- Why Dawn-Maria is so passionate about equality and diversity
- Being genuine in photographs and fighting back against retouching
- Issues around mental health especially in the black and brown community
- The impact of racism on mental health
- Healthcare and women of colour
- Finding a voice distinct from her community
- The challenge and delight of writing empowering stories for children
- The challenges of writing a children’s book
- Being childless by choice but still choosing to write for children
- Dawn-Maria’s thoughts on the current UK economic difficulties
- The power that comes to women in midlife
Find out more about Dawn-Maria:
Dawn-Maria’s book: The Adventures of Jenny and Philip: The Naughtiest Girl in the World and The Adventures of Jenny and Philip: We All Need Friends
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening.
Find out how to leave a review here.