Sam Walker started her Sam Walker’s Desert Diaries podcast to document her move from Manchester, UK to Phoenix, Arizona. Sam is a master storyteller, an award-winning radio and TV broadcaster, a multiple podcast producer and presenter, a writer, and a woman who encountered coyotes, snakes and scorpions in the desert. This is such an inspirational gem of a podcast, I just had to re-release it!
We talk about:
- Why Sam decided to up sticks and move from Manchester to the desert
- How she pushed through the fear both before making the move and after, given all the issues she has faced
- Having support when making a big life change
- Trusting the universe when there are signs along the way
- The importance of trying to live our dreams no matter how big or small those might be
- The difficulties and highlights of her life in Arizona
- The many quirky things about adapting to US life
- Trying to function in the US without a credit history
- The delights of the US medical system
- The beauty and history of US landscapes
- Whatever brings you joy is what is right for you
- The importance of following your dreams whatever they are
- Getting rid of the word should
- How Sam stays upbeat despite the many setbacks she’s encountered
- Coping with being away from sick loved ones
- Coming to terms with gun culture
- Realising her white privilege when things got really tough
- Being grateful for the basics
And lots more!
You can find out more about Sam:
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!