Celebrating episode 150 of the podcast with a very special guest. Ann Marie McQueen is a journalist on the world stage, focused on menopause and on a mission to cut through misleading narratives and dodgy data. She founded HotFlash Inc in 2020 to cover the latest clinical studies, treatments, products, guidance and more via a weekly research letter, podcast and across social media. She’s also one of the founder members of MenoClarity.
We talk about:
- Why and how menopause became Ann Marie’s focus
- Living in the Middle East as a Canadian expat
- Cultural differences around menopause narratives
- What annoys and concerns her about how menopause is portrayed
- Issues around the impact of social media on menopause narratives
- The oversimplification of menopause messages
- Ann Marie’s struggles with ill health and separating that out from hormonal change
- The impact of belief systems and trauma on menopause
- The impact of early parental bereavement
- How her view of menopause has changed
- Understanding research and what it’s really saying
- Being sceptical about big promises that make people money
- Menopause narratives that don’t empower women
- Menopause as a hero’s journey
Anne Marie’s website: hotflashinc.com
Podcast: The Hotflash inc podcast
Why not explore more…
Tania Elfersy talks about how we can be wiser about the menopause transition, so we suffer less and feel its power more.
It is perfectly possible to manage menopause without HRT. Diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes can all have an enormous impact.
An important conversation with Professor Martha Hickey about normalizing menopause. It may be difficult for some, but is completely normal.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!