Episode 35: Zestful ageing, not ageism with Nicole Christina
An interview with Nicole Christina, a psychotherapist, and host of the Zestful Aging Podcast which is listened to in more than 85 countries! Nicole is an utter delight and we had such a laugh together. She is also very wise.
We talk about:
- The joy of podcasting and why it means so much
- How Nicole’s podcast has provided a balance to the negativity associated with aging
- What zestful aging means to Nicole
- Coping with loss and the negative aspects of ageing while fully appreciating the delightful things
- The magic of technology for learning things and staying in touch
- How the pandemic has brought ageism to the fore
- How shocking it is to hear leaders dismissing the impact of corona because it ‘only’ affects the old and vulnerable
- The way society dismisses the experience and wisdom of older people because of the way they look
- Putting a monetary value on people’s lives
- The ugliness of the political environment in the US and the UK
- Big centres in New York and the UK that are being turned into hospitals
- Justifying going out to buy things
- The radical change in our day to day decisions
- Coping with anxiety at this time – laughter helps!
- Finding basic stillness is really helpful for managing stress
- Managing eating whether too much or too little under stress
- There are no dress rules under a pandemic
- Ditching the bra and pantyhose
- Needing something more in midlife
- How Nicole started her podcast and why
- The magic of fly fishing
- The magic of sharing stories and changing how people think about ageing
- The amazing things older women are doing in the world
- Knitting prosthetics for breast cancer survivors in Africa
- The nourishing aspect of learning what other women are doing
- You don’t get to this age without experiencing tough stuff
- Whether or not to allow men on our podcasts
- Promoting the voices of older women
- The democratisation of broadcasting through podcasting
- The dual aims of entertaining and educating on the podcast
- Getting the right balance between sharing the hard stuff and still being uplifting
And lots more!
Find out more about Nicole Christina:
You can also listen to Nicole’s Zestful Aging Podcast
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!
Find out how to leave a review here.