Episode 45: Putting on a sell-out show about menopause with Claire Hodgson
An extraordinary interview with Claire Hodgson MBE, one of the stars of the fabulous play Mid Life which had a sell-out run at the Barbican in London. She’s the founder of Diverse City, the Bristol theater company behind this production, and the co-founder of Extraordinary Bodies, the UK’s leading professional integrated circus company.
In this inspiring and empowering interview, we talk about:
- Claire’s passion for diversity in the performing arts and theater in particular
- Institutional and systematic racism in our society and hoping that we are at a time of real transformation
- How it’s time for white people to do something about racism because black people are exhausted and broken
- How often big moments of change in social justice come very quickly and white people need to act now
- How it’s important to have everyone’s story told and for everyone to be represented in life to validate our identity and experience
- The good things that can happen for us when we just say yes
- The importance of intersectionality and levels of prejudice dependent on our experience
- The many different stories around menopause and midlife
- How disabled people may be used to having restrictions on them, so lockdown was nothing new for them
- The difficulties of being in the live theater industry under Covid
- How much support the theater industry in particular needs from government and society
- Ways actors and performers are getting creative to continue showing their work
- Drive in theaters over the summer to get around restrictions
- Needing to be creative about how theater is presented may actually result in greater audience diversity and bigger audiences
- Claire’s own experience of menopause and why she wanted to make the play Mid Life
- How we care less and can get clearer about what we do and don’t want as we age
- Unveiling the big secret in the show!
- The power of midlife reflection and transformation
- The powerful role midlife women can have in creating the new normal
And lots more!
Find out more about Claire:
Diverse City (founder)
Extraordinary Bodies (co-founder)
Claire Hodgson Linkedin, Claire Hodgson Twitter
Diverse City Facebook, Diverse City Linkedin, Diverse City Twitter
Extraordinary Bodies Facebook, Extraordinary Bodies Twitter, Extraordinary Bodies Instagram
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!
Find out how to leave a review here.