Episode 45: Putting on a sell-out show about menopause with Claire Hodgson
An extraordinary interview with Claire Hodgson MBE, one of the stars of the fabulous play Mid Life which had a sell-out run at the Barbican in London. She’s the founder of Diverse City, the Bristol theater company behind this production, and the co-founder of Extraordinary Bodies, the UK’s leading professional integrated circus company.
In this inspiring and empowering interview, we talk about:
- Claire’s passion for diversity in the performing arts and theater in particular
- Institutional and systematic racism in our society and hoping that we are at a time of real transformation
- How it’s time for white people to do something about racism because black people are exhausted and broken
- How often big moments of change in social justice come very quickly and white people need to act now
- How it’s important to have everyone’s story told and for everyone to be represented in life to validate our identity and experience
- The good things that can happen for us when we just say yes
- The importance of intersectionality and levels of prejudice dependent on our experience
- The many different stories around menopause and midlife
- How disabled people may be used to having restrictions on them, so lockdown was nothing new for them
- The difficulties of being in the live theater industry under Covid
- How much support the theater industry in particular needs from government and society
- Ways actors and performers are getting creative to continue showing their work
- Drive in theaters over the summer to get around restrictions
- Needing to be creative about how theater is presented may actually result in greater audience diversity and bigger audiences
- Claire’s own experience of menopause and why she wanted to make the play Mid Life
- How we care less and can get clearer about what we do and don’t want as we age
- Unveiling the big secret in the show!
- The power of midlife reflection and transformation
- The powerful role midlife women can have in creating the new normal
And lots more!
Find out more about Claire:
Diverse City (founder)
Extraordinary Bodies (co-founder)
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!