Episode 50: Living the dream in the desert with Sam Walker
Meet Sam Walker, host of the fabulous Sam Walker’s Desert Diaries podcast, which she started to document her move from Manchester, UK to Phoenix, Arizona. Sam is a master storyteller, an award-winning radio and TV broadcaster, a multiple podcast producer and presenter, a writer with a book being published next year and a woman who’s encountered coyotes, snakes and scorpions in the desert. Since we recorded this she won three (yes three) awards at the British Podcast awards!
We talk about:
- Why Sam decided to up sticks and move from Manchester to the desert
- How she pushed through the fear both before making the move and after, given all the issues she has faced
- Having support when making a big life change
- Trusting the universe when there are signs along the way
- The importance of trying to live our dreams no matter how big or small those might be
- The difficulties and highlights of her life in Arizona
- The many quirky things about adapting to US life
- Trying to function in the US without a credit history
- The delights of the US medical system
- The beauty and history of US landscapes
- Whatever brings you joy is what is right for you
- The importance of following your dreams whatever they are
- Getting rid of the word should
- How Sam stays upbeat despite the many setbacks she’s encountered
- How it’s been coping with Covid as a Brit in the US
- Coping with being away from sick loved ones
- Coming to terms with gun culture
- Realising her white privilege when things got really tough
- Being grateful the basics
- What Sam has learnt by making this huge change in her life
And lots more!
You can find out more about Sam:
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!
Pin for later!