Episode 61: Surviving a Somali desert kidnapping with Jessica Buchanan
Meet the remarkable Jessica Buchanan, the NYT bestselling co-author of Impossible Odds, a memoir that details her 93 days held in the desert by Somali land pirates, and her dramatic rescue by US Navy SEAL Team VI. I am so inspired by Jess and found this such an empowering story of survival against truly impossible odds that can help all of us cope better under duress.
We talk about:
- How Jess finds the strength to keep telling her survival story to the world.
- How she fell in love with Africa and met her husband.
- Her work as an aid worker in Africa and particularly in Somalia.
- How she kept herself going day to day with nothing in the desert.
- Anger management in the desert when she wasn’t allowed to show any emotion.
- How she survived the ordeal and even found herself in the desert.
- Meeting the Navy seals who rescued her and finally realizing she was the hero of her own story.
- The story of the night she was rescued.
- Jess’s President Obama story.
- The difficulties of surviving survival and trying to rebuild a life.
- Moving on from trauma and in fact, owning it.
- Her Tedx talk – change is your proof of life.
- Learning to collaborate with whatever is coming at us in life rather than fighting it.
- The healing power of nature.
Find out more about Jessica:
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and leave a review
on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!
Pin for later!