Episode 19: Finding your true voice with Hattie Voelcker
Hattie Voelcker went from being a barrister to retraining as a performance coach, working particularly with singers. She’s so wise and inspiring! And great fun too.
In this fabulous interview we cover:
- Why Hattie made the change from barrister to performance coach
- The similarities between the two professions
- The beauty of transferable skills
- The power of understanding people’s wants, needs and vulnerabilities
- How being a family law barrister helps her coaching practice now
- Moving from a very high-powered career to a new and different role
- How people of all levels suffer from impostor syndrome
- How the real fear we feel when stepping forward is looking stupid, both for men and women
- How our desire for perfection can hold us back
- Vulnerability and courage as two sides of the same coin
- Empathy starts with ourselves
- How it’s OK, in fact, normal, to be nervous when stepping forward
- It’s fine to be just OK and to be you, and in that is perfection
- Life is an infinite series of nows
- How fun is vital to life
- The importance of pausing in midlife
- SMOG, WELL and WISE words
- Getting rid of the word should from our vocabulary!
And lots more!
SMOG words – should, must, ought, got (also have to and need to)
WELL words – want, enjoy, like, love
WISE words – wise, important, sensible, effective
Be sure to subscribe on your favorite podcast player (or YouTube or Spotify) so you don’t miss an episode!