Episode 20: The magic of menopause with Darcey Steinke
I was so excited to interview Darcey Steinke, author of Flash Count Diary. I loved her book and so many of her thoughts about menopause are similar to mine. It was wonderful to find a kindred spirit whose overall impression of menopause is so positive.
In this fascinating and very uplifting interview we talk about:
- Darcey’s fascination with her hot flashes
- How the book is about so many different things about midlife and menopause
- How menopause can be a struggle but there is lots of richness to gain
- Darcey’s startling realizations about the menopausal transition
- How Darcey managed her own menopause symptoms and what helped most
- How we may be more like our pre-pubescent selves post menopause
- How we may live more of our lives being infertile than fertile
- The tyranny of estrogen and what it’s like to finally be free of it
- Fertility, menopause and the patriarchy
- Appearance, visibility and the power of female friends
- Calling out ageism especially at work
- Anger and the lifting of the complicity veil
- The marvels of whales and menopause
- The evolutionary reason for menopause
- How misogyny has lots to answer for on how we view menopause
- How rethinking menopause and ageing can re-frame our experience of both
And lots more!
Click on the image below to buy Darcey’s book.
Be sure to subscribe on your favorite podcast player (or YouTube or Spotify) so you don’t miss an episode!