Episode 28: Going on a Messy Middle Road Trip with Janine and Nicole
I interview Janine Queenin and Nicole Markel, hosts of the Messy Middle Roadtrip Podcast. In this fascinating and very wide-ranging interview, we talk about almost everything under the sun from perimenopause to travel, from toxic products to being a ninja warrior! And all things midlife in between.
- How Janine and Nicole came up with the concept and the name for their podcast, Messy Middle RoadTrip
- Getting beyond the invisibility of getting older and the embarrassment of menopause
- Changing society’s narratives around our worship of youth
- How midlife women are a huge untapped sector of society
- How we can sometimes make ourselves invisible by our poor self-talk
- Fighting against the urge to step back
- Starting new businesses in midlife
- Disconnecting through travel
- Eliminating toxicity from the products we use everyday
- Finding inspiration for a business in illness
- Defeating psoriatic arthritis and improving psoriasis through eating clean, using clean products and lifestyle changes, rather than medication
- How labels can in be incredibly misleading
- Regulations on products are woefully inadequate and worse in the US than in Europe
- How the term fragrance can be used to hide a multiple of nasty ingredients
- In the US only 11 harmful ingredients are banned. In Europe the figure is 1300!
- How hormonal changes in midlife can highlight issues that need to be dealt and it’s important to listen to our bodies
- How stress can create a perfect storm of factors leading to ill health
- How positive natural solutions can be massively transformative
- The importance of not letting disease define you
- Trial and error in starting a business and not wanting to have a boss any more
- The importance of thinking about the environment when it comes to travelling
- The prevalence of greenwashing – making environmental claims that cannot be backed up
- How product formulations change when the small business sells out to a bigger company
- The impact of laundry detergent on skin
- The impact of inhaling vapours from synthetic cleaning products especially at home when it’s cold outside
- The importance of checking labels on products
- The impact of the toxic body buildup of ingredients on fertility and other issues including our experience of menopause
- The amazing things midlife women are doing and that they talk about on the Messy Middle Roadtrip podcast
- How little we know about teenager’s lives
- The spirit of midlife women and their willingness to share
- The importance of talking about health issues in particular
- The power behind owning your story and being proud of it
And lots more!
Find out more about Janine and Nicole: messymiddleroadtrip.com
Listen to their podcast.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!