Episode 29: Leaving medicine for yoga with Nadine Kelly, Yogi M.D.
Nadine Kelly was a medical doctor for many years but gave it up to be a yoga instructor. She has a fascinating story to tell about why she did that and how she lives her life now.
In this inspiring and moving interview we talk about:
- Why Nadine moved from being a medical doctor to teaching yoga
- Building a different kind of life after leaving the system when medicine became more of a business
- How Nadine is driven by respect for elders and what they have brought to her life
- Taking a holistic approach to health and wellness rather than just focusing on curing illness
- Why Nadine now focuses her work on older people
- Combining medical knowledge with yoga practice to provide a well-rounded experience
- What Nadine liked about pathology
- Adapting a yoga practice to make it accessible for all bodies
- Slowing things down in all aspects of our lives
- Breaking the myths associated with doing yoga
- No pain no gain is nonsense, but no strain no gain makes sense
- The passion and importance of life-long learning
- Moving beyond limiting beliefs and letting go of perfectionism
- If you’re struggling with something, ask yourself what you’re trying to prove
- Learning to be enough
- Talking about death and grief with her friend
- How we can learn from everybody
- The power of diet and lifestyle changes in extending life with a cancer diagnosis
- Holding space and being present to enable someone to tell their story
- Wanting to help people and have an impact
- How we both hate small talk
- Ageing is a beautiful natural process and gifts come with time
- We short-change ourselves by not seeing the beauty of ageing
- What Nadine has learnt from podcasting
And lots more!
Find out more about Nadine, her work and her podcast on her website.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, share it and maybe leave a review on iTunes or wherever you’re listening. Thank you!